Notes on Family: Totiviridae
This family includes all the viruses of fungi and protozoa that have virions and a single component double-stranded RNA genome. Viruses of fungi with dsRNA genomes that are not encapsidated in virions are classified in the family Hypoviridae
, and those with more than one genome segment are in the family Partitiviridae
Virions isometric (30 - 40 nm in diameter).
Monopartite, linear, double stranded RNA of 4.6-7.0 kb There are two large, usually overlapping, reading frames encoding the coat protein (gag) and an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase (pol). Some members may have a smaller, 5'-proximal, ORF.
Genera in the Family
- Giardiavirus (36nm diameter particles, infecting protozoan parasites)
- Leishmaniavirus (33nm diameter particles, infecting protozoan parasites )
- Totivirus (40nm diameter particles, infecting yeasts and smut fungi)
- Trichomonasvirus (infecting protozoan parasites of the genus Trichomonas and phylogenetically distinct from other genera)
- Victorivirus (40nm diameter particles, infecting filamentous fungi and phylogenetically distinct from other genera)