Notes on Genus: Mimoreovirus
Type member: Micromonas pusilla reovirus
This is one of the genera in the family Reoviridae
. The only known member has 11 segments, the largest of which is much bigger that that of any other members of the family. It infects a photosynthetic marine protist, Micromonas
, from which the genus name is derived.
Virions isometric (icosahedral), probably c
.80 nm in diameter.
Linear, double stranded RNA in 11 segments. Each virion contains a single copy of the entire genome. Total genome c.
25500 nucleotides long.
Genus Genomic Organization
Each segment has a single ORF.
Type Member Genomic Organization
- Segment 1 (5792 nt) encodes a putative surface glycoprotein VP1 (201.3 kDa)
- Segment 2 (4175 nt) encodes a putative viral polymerase VP2 (154.7 kDa)
- Segment 3 (3129 nt) encodes the VP3 protein (116.2 kDa)
- Segment 4 (2833 nt) encodes the VP4 protein (102.6 kDa)
- Segment 5 (2027 nt) encodes the VP5 protein (53.2 kDa)
- Segment 6 (1687 nt) encodes the VP6 protein (59.0 kDa)
- Segment 7 (1556 nt) encodes the VP7 protein (55.4 kDa)
- Segment 8 (1449 nt) encodes the VP8 protein (51.7 kDa)
- Segment 9 (1296 nt) encodes the VP9 protein (44.3 kDa)
- Segment 10 (878 nt) encodes the VP10 protein (24.7 kDa)
- Segment 11 (741 nt) encodes the VP11 protein (22.2 kDa)