Notes on Genus: Orbivirus
Type member: Bluetongue virus
This is one of the animal virus genera in the family Reoviridae
. Members have 10 segments, particles more than 70 nm in diameter and sedimentation coefficients less than 600S.
Virions isometric (icosahedral), c.
80 nm in diameter, with a double capsid shell surrounding a core of c.
Linear, double stranded RNA in 10 segments. Each virion contains a single copy of the entire genome. Total genome up to c.
19200 nucleotides long.
Genus Genomic Organization
Each segment has a single ORF.
Type Member Genomic Organization
- Segment 1 (3944 nt) encodes the VP1 RNA polymerase (149.6 kDa)
- Segment 2 (2953 nt) encodes the VP2 outer capsid protein (111.0 kDa)
- Segment 3 (2772 nt) encodes the VP3 major core protein (103.3 kDa)
- Segment 4 (1981 nt) encodes the VP4 cap protein (73.5 kDa)
- Segment 5 (1638 nt) encodes the NS1 non-structural protein (59.1 kDa)
- Segment 6 (1769 nt) encodes the VP5 outer capsid inner layer protein (64.4 kDa)
- Segment 7 (1156 nt) encodes the VP7 outer core surface protein (38.5 kDa)
- Segment 8 (1125 nt) encodes the NS2 non-structural inclusion body protein (40.5 kDa)
- Segment 9 (1049 nt) encodes the VP6 helicase (35.5 kDa)
- Segment 10 (822 nt) encodes the NS3 non-structural glycoprotein (25.6 kDa)