Notes on Genus: Rotavirus
Type member: Rotavirus A
This is one of the animal virus genera in the family Reoviridae
. Members have 11 genome segments and infect vertebrates. The name reflects the fact that virus particles have a wheel (latin Rota
)-like appearance in electron microscopy.
Virions isometric (icosahedral), c
.100 nm in diameter, with three concentric capsid shells.
Linear, double stranded RNA in 11 segments. Each virion contains a single copy of the entire genome. Total genome c.
18500 nucleotides long.
Genus Genomic Organization
Most segments have only one ORF.
Type Member Genomic Organization
- Segment 1 (3302 nt) encodes the VP1 polymerase (125.1 kDa )
- Segment 2 (2690 nt) encodes the innermost core shell protein VP2 (102.7 kDa)
- Segment 3 (2591 nt) encodes the cap protein VP3 (98.1 kDa)
- Segment 4 (2362) encodes the surface spike protein VP4 (86.8 kDa)
- Segment 5 (1611 nt) encodes the non-strutural protein NSP1 (58.5 kDa)
- Segment 6 (1357 nt) encodes the middle shell protein VP6 (44.9 kDa)
- Segment 7 (1104 nt) encodes the non-structural protein NSP3 (36.4 kDa)
- Segment 8 (1059 nt) encodes the non-structural glycoprotein NSP2 (36.6 kDa)
- Segment 9 (1062 nt) encodes the major outer capsid protein VP7 (37.2 kDa)
- Segment 10 (751 nt) encodes the non-structural glycoprotein NSP4 (20.2 kDa)
- Segment 11 (667 nt) encodes two non-structural proteins NSP5 (21.7 kDa) and NSP6 (11.0 kDa)