Notes on Genus: Aquareovirus
Type member: Aquareovirus A
This is one of the animal virus genera in the family Reoviridae
. Members have 11 genome segments and infect fish or shellfish. The name reflects the fact that the hosts are aquatic.
Virions isometric (icosahedral), c
.80 nm in diameter, with two concentric capsid shells surrounding a core of c
.60nm diameter. Small projections on the core particle surface connect with the inner and outer capsid layers.
Linear, double stranded RNA in 11 segments. Each virion contains a single copy of the entire genome. Total genome c.
24000 nucleotides long. The segments migrate as three size classes in electrophoresis and they are numbered according to their mobility rather than size in nucleotides.
Genus Genomic Organization
Most segments have only one ORF.
Type Member Genomic Organization
- Segment 1 (3947 nt) encodes a putative guanylyl/methyl transferase VP1 (140.9 kDa)
- Segment 2 (3862 nt) encodes a putative viral polymerase VP2 (137.6 kDa)
- Segment 3 (3690 nt) encodes a putative NTPase/RNA helicase VP3 (131.9 kDa)
- Segment 4 (1619 nt) may encode two proteins of 9.9 and 42.9 kDa
- Segment 5 (2242 nt) encodes a putative protein of 80.1 kDa
- Segment 6 (2052 nt) encodes a putative protein of 68.9 kDa
- Segment 7 (1395 nt) encodes a putative protein of 49.8 kDa
- Segment 8 (1317 nt) encodes a putative protein of 45.3 kDa
- Segment 9 (1118 nt) encodes a putative protein of 38.1 kDa
- Segment 10 (985 nt) encodes a putative protein of 32.4 kDa
- Segment 11 (783 nt) may encode three proteins of 15.1, 16.9 and 13.0 kDa